Monday 26 April 2010

Don't let your computer slow you down!

If you are like me you will be on your computer a lot. I seem to be on my computer half of my life. When I am at work I am on my computer, when I am at home I am often on my computer. I can’t even think about what life would be like without a computer.

In case some of you are wondering I own an Asus 17” laptop. Tremendous a desktop replacement model, does everything I want.

There are two scourges for me though of using my laptop. The first are viruses and malware. The second is slow running of my PC.

The thing I hate about both of the above is the level of irritation they bring. I can’t stand the fact that somebody was so evil that they deliberately designed a virus/malware to affect me, my life and my computer.

What I want to major on in this article is when my computer runs slow. It drives me around the bend! Fortunately (and touch wood) it has not happened with my current computer.

The problem with slow running speed is that it is very difficult to diagnose. When you have a slow running computer it is a game to know where to start. I was very pleased with my old computer when I came across this guide from Mahalo:
http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-make-your-computer-run-faster

I have already sort of talked about one of the points. See if you have any Malware this is a common reason for slow computer speed. Before you do anything though – make sure you back your computer up, it is essential as you might lose all your information otherwise.

Other tips/suggestions include removal of some of your programs. You know the program you downloaded one day in July last year and have never used since. It is amazing how many times we do this. Check it now, I bet most people will have 10+ of these sort of programs. These can slow the computer down; remove any that you do not need.

Also defragment your disk. When you save to your hard disk it does not save it necessarily in one place. The data is saved in various places. This is called disk fragmentation. When you run disk defragmentation it means that all of your data is saved in the same area of your hard disk. This means files are easier to retrieve and save.

Another useful exercise is to ensure that all your programs and drivers are upgraded to the latest versions. Using the latest version will improve speed and will also reduce the threat of viruses/malware.

Once again, check this page out for some useful information - http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-make-your-computer-run-faster

Thanks for now,

Bestpay

Posted via email from alanmhorton's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment